Information Technology Manager Kaiwhakahaere Hangarau Pārongo
Information technology (IT) managers plan and supervise computer and information technology services for organisations or technical teams.
IT managers may choose to become certified or chartered through associations such as the Institute of IT Professionals.
IT managers may do some or all of the following:
- assess and recommend computer and information systems equipment, software and networks
- prepare budgets and reports
- plan for and purchase computer and information technology equipment
- supervise installation, use and repair of computer systems
- manage helpdesk support teams and other IT teams.
Useful experience for IT managers includes:
- technical computer work
- helpdesk operations
- project administration
- customer service.
IT managers need to be:
- good communicators, who can clearly explain complex technical information
- analytical, with problem-solving skills
- strong in evaluation and judgement
- able to work well under pressure
- leaders who can motivate their staff.
IT managers need to have knowledge of:
- how their organisation can use and store information
- the latest computer hardware and software, and how it could be used by their organisation
- management, planning and technical requirements
- how to evaluate their clients' needs.
- usually work regular business hours, but may have to work irregular or long hours, and be on call
- work in offices and computer rooms
- may travel around the country or internationally to other company offices, or to attend conferences and trade shows.
A tertiary entrance qualification is required to enter further training. Useful subjects include maths, physics and digital technologies.
IT managers may progress into the role of chief information officer (CIO).
Years Of Training2-3 years of training required.
There are no specific qualification requirements to become an information technology (IT) manager, but relevant work experience is essential.
A tertiary qualification, such as a degree in information technology or a project management qualification, may be useful.