NCEA Level 3 Computer Science Information 301
Teacher in Charge: G. Hall
CSI301 - Computer Science and Information 301
This academic course builds on the CSI201 course;
It continues to extend both Programming and Database skills and the understanding of concepts in Computer Science.
This year the course:
- Extends the programming language Python by exploring Graphic User Interfaces (GUI) and Classes which allow the use of Objects to be utilized in the code.
- Builds on how database tables in a SQL database can be linked by a Many to Many relationship to output in a website and looks at how data in a database can be added, updated and removed via forms in the website all using PHP code, HTML and CSS.
- Further exploration of concepts in Computer Science.
Students can also take the option DIT301 as this course does compliment DIT.
The following two Assessment Standards can be taken as an option by students who are not sitting 13DIT
- 3.8_(91907)_Develop included in both courses.
University Entrance Approved Subject
PROGRAMMING - PYTHON
Practice for and complete an assessment, Assessment Standard 3.7_(91906)_Program
DATABASE - MySQL
Practice for and start an assessment, Assessment Standard 3.3_(91902)_Databases
DATABASE - MySQL
Complete an assessment, Assessment Standard 3.3_(91902)_Databases
OPTIONS (Only for students who are not taking 13DIT):
- Complete an assessment, Assessment Standard 3.4_(91903)_Web
- Complete an assessment, Assessment Standard 3.8_(91907)_Develop a digital technologies outcome Oct 2018
Practice for and complete an assessment, Assessment Standard 3.1_(91900)_Digital Technologies Inquiry
This scaffolds students learning towards 3.9_(91908)_Computer Science_Concepts
Sit the external assessment, Assessment Standard 3.9_(91908)_Computer Science_Concepts
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
- Students need to contribute $10 towards access to a range of online coding courses on Codeavengers.
- 1E4 - 7mm Quad Book 28 pages, pen, pencil, eraser, ruler.
- A set of headphones (ear plugs).
- It is optional for students to make a contribution $5-10 for their CodeAvengers Python course, this can be paid at the school office early in Term 1.
- Have credit on their Papercut account for printing of some assessments.
Students can also take the option DIT201
Recommended Prior Learning
Students need to have studied CSI201
Two Achieved in the following Achievement Standards:
- 2.1_(91890)_Inquiry into a proposed digital technologies outcome
- 2.9_(91898)_Computer Science_Concepts
Completed Codeavengers ‘Python Level 2’
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
This course is approved for University Entrance.
Total Credits Available: 19 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 3 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 16 credits.
Term: 3, Week: 2
Term: 2, Week: 9
Further assessment opportunities will not be offered for this standard inline with NZQA guidelines
Term: 4, Week: 2