Motor Vehicle Salesperson Kaihoko Waka Huarahi
Motor vehicle salespeople sell new or used cars, trucks, and other vehicles.
Motor vehicle salespeople who have their own car dealerships need to be registered on the Motor Vehicle Traders Register (MVTR).
Motor vehicle salespeople may do some or all of the following:
- prepare vehicles for sale
- help customers decide which vehicles will best suit their needs
- accompany customers who are test-driving vehicles
- decide on the trade-in value of the customer's used vehicle
- collect payment or arrange finance on vehicles
- arrange vehicle insurance for customers
- organise advertising and promotions
- keep a database of customers and potential customers
- deal with painters, panelbeaters and vehicle parts suppliers.
Useful experience for motor vehicle salespeople includes:
- sales work
- customer service experience
- vehicle servicing and grooming work.
Motor vehicle salespeople need to be:
- confident dealing with people
- self-motivated, proactive and resilient
- friendly, polite, helpful and honest
- good listeners, to ensure they understand their clients' needs
- skilled at negotiating and selling
- good at communicating
Motor vehicle salespeople need to have knowledge of:
- the vehicles they sell
- new cars on the market, and market trends
- how vehicle engines work
- relevant legislation such as the Consumer Guarantees Act and Motor Vehicles Sales Act
- finance and payment options.
Motor vehicle salespeople:
- often work long hours, which may include evenings and weekends, and may also be on call
- work in showrooms and car yards
- may deliver cars locally and nationally, and those with more experience may travel overseas to look at vehicles for the New Zealand market.
There are no specific secondary education requirements for this job, but accounting, business studies, English and maths are useful.
Motor vehicle salespeople may progress to set up their own business, or move into managerial roles.
Motor vehicle salespeople may specialise in:
- selling a particular vehicle type
- fleet sales
- importing used vehicles from overseas.
Years Of Training
To become a motor vehicle salesperson you need to have a clean driver's licence.