NCEA Level 1 Spatial and Product Design 101
Teacher in Charge: Mrs T. Tippett
Recommended Prior Learning
The Year 10 SPD course is preferential.
This is a creative design course. It is run in the Graphics room.
In this course students will work on a product design project. (As the subject begins to specialise at Level 2 students will be able to move into product or spatial design).
Students will learn to:
- Use the design process to solve a design brief
- Develop their freehand sketching skills
- Develop their rendering skills
- Extend their use of design language to annotate and evaluate their own design ideas
- Use modelling techniques to generate and explore design ideas
- Communicate their ideas to others
This course is for students that like to be creative, to draw and to use their imaginations.
This course is eligible for course endorsement, as it includes an external standard. It leads to, and is a pre-requisite for the NCEA Level 2 Spatial and Product Design course.
Assessment Policy & Procedures
NCEA Level 2 Spatial and Product Design 201
Graphic Designer, Architect, Architectural Technician, Interior Designer, Industrial Designer, Quantity Surveyor, Landscape Architect, Artist, Jeweller
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
Students are required to supply their own stationery and portfolio.
There is a cost for consumable materials used in the course.
Students are assessed on:
- the quality of their ability to communicate ideas and information through visual techniques (different drawing methods)
- their ability to explain their design thinking using design language
- their ability to apply colour to a drawing to show tonal shading, highlights and shadow
- their ability to design a product using a design brief and following the design process