Trades Academy Level 2 and 3
Teacher in Charge: Mrs K. Wiltshire
Trades Academy is a year-long training programme that students attend one or two days a week and school for the other days. It is hands-on learning that prepares students for employment or higher level study.
Credits go towards NCEA Level 2 or 3 and range in number from around 20-45 depending on the programme.
Note - You must select this course as a backup.
- By selecting this as your backup, it gives an indication that you are considering undertaking a Trades Academy course. Please note you must select six other options at year 12 or 5 at year 13.
- Once you have selected Trades Academy you will need to meet with the Careers Advisor and/or one of your Deans to discuss your area of interest.
- Apply to the Trades Academy of your choice (note: places are limited)
- Once you are accepted into the Trades Academy programme you will drop one or two of your options and your timetable will be amended as required - this will happen at the start of 2022.
There are currently three different Trades Academies that Tawa College students can attend - details below.
Wellington Trades Academy year 12 or 13 depending on the course.
Click here for Trades Academy Information
Subjects currently available for study (as at July 2021) are listed below. These may well change with additional funding and programmes being offered. An updated list will be provided as it becomes available.
- Construction (Mixed Trades), Level 2, 51 credits (2 days per week)
- Construction Projects, Level 2, 20 credits (one day per week)
- Creative Technology, introduction, Level 2, 43 credits (2 days per week)
- Engineering and Automotive, Level 2, 46 credits (2 days per week)
- Engines, Level 2, 45 credits (2 days per week)
- Cooking cafe service, level 2, 44 credits (2 days per week)
- Cookery, Level 3, 60 credits (2 days per week)
- Health Science, Level 2, 40 credits (one day per week)
- Health Science -anatomy and physiology, Level 3, 20 credits (one day per week)
- Youth Development, Level 3, 40 credits (2 days per week)
- Animal care introduction, Level 2, 44 credits (2 days per week)
- Salon Environment, Level 2, 43 credits (2 days per week)
- Barbering, level 3, 40 credits (2 days per week)
- Conservation/Sustainability, Level 2 or 3, 20 credits (one day per week)
- Whānau Ora, Level 3, 40 credits (programme proposed at Porirua)
Porirua Restoration Project - year 12 or 13
Click here for course details Course details
This course is 1 day a week and two noho (camps). Students will gain around 27 credits at either level 2 or 3 depending on their year at school.
A student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
- Gain skills and knowledge in pest control, restoration planting, nursery work and pest plant management.
- Develop a plan with a group and implement a project using the concepts of sustainability
- Communicate to the community to organise a project.
- Understand connection to place through te a Māori (the Māori worldview)
- Fain confidence working in the outdoors.
Students interested in this course may also be interested in SUP301, Sustainable Practices
Primary Industries, year 12 or 13
The Primary ITO Trades Academy provides programmes at both Level 2 and 3 for students interested in prinary industries including farming.
The Trades Academy Primary Industry Skills (Level 2) programme aims to ensure that at the end of two years of study, learners have a combination of practical skills and theoretical knowledge that will enable them to continue to make informed choices about their pathway options in the primary industry. The programme provides learners with transferable skills in literacy and numeracy and instils work-ready skills through practical training opportunities in realistic working environments.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
All costs are covered by the Trades Academy including any travel from Tawa College and any PPE (Personal Protective Equipment required.