NCEA Level 1 Fashion and Textiles Technology 101
Teacher in Charge: Mrs T. Tippett
This course involves developing and making products in fabric. The course is run in the sewing room.
In this course students will learn to:
- Use commercial sewing patterns
- Adapt a commercial sewing pattern
- Develop hand sewing skills
- Develop machine stitching skills
- Understand about fabrics and their properties
- Understand basic garment construction techniques
Students will make a range of products in fabrics over the year. There will be theory work alongside the practical work.
Please Note: There will be costs for materials used in the take home products.
This course is eligible for course endorsement. It leads into, and is a pre-requisite for NCEA Level 2 Fashion and Textiles Technology.
PLEASE NOTE: This photo is indicative only as projects change every year.
Recommended Prior Learning
This course is open to anyone who is interested in sewing and making things in textile (fabric) materials.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
There will be costs for the materials for all projects. Projects are taken home.
Assessment InformationStudents will be assessed on:
- their practical skills
- their ability to create garments
- their ability to read and follow commercial patterns
- their ability to make adaptions to a commercial pattern
- their knowledge of material properties and characteristics
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
Total Credits Available: 18 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 14 credits.
Term: 4, Week: 1
Term: 1, Week: 8