10 Food and Nutrition
Teacher in Charge: Ms S. Ford
Food and Nutrition
In this course you will have the opportunity to learn essential knowledge and skills in working with food and you will learn about nutrition and use this to make informed decisions about food choices. The course is designed to prepare students for NCEA Level 1 Food and Nutrition and is based on both the Technology and Health curriculum areas.
The major units of work are as follows:
- Safety in the Kitchen - students obtain a “license”
- Food safety - learning how to be safe with food and then applying this to a meal
- Cookery techniques and processes - technological knowledge
- Burgers - food processing and future foods and this this relates to society, nutrition, sustainability. How are food products related to the time and context in which they have been developed?
- Functions of ingredients in relation to the nature of technology - what is the impact of using certain ingredients on us?
- Developing your own food product using technological knowledge and practice.
- Nutrition- an introduction to food groups and nutrients with special focus on teen nutrition, choices and health promotion
Recommended Prior Learning
None, just enthusiasm about food, nutrition and cookery
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
A donation of $100 to cover food costs would be appreciated. All resources are provided for practical sessions each week.
Chef, Food Technologist, Dietitian, Health Promoter, Butcher, Cafe/Restaurant Manager, Baker, Dairy Processing Operator, Winemaker, Meat/Seafood Process Worker, Bartender, Hotel/Motel Manager, Cafe Worker, Waiter/Waitress, Retail Sales Assistant, Biotechnologist, Brewer, Cook, Hotel Porter, Maitre d’Hotel, Service Station Attendant, Midwife, Retail Manager, Community Karitāne, Dentist, Health Care Assistant, Agricultural/Horticultural Scientist, Agricultural Technician, Physician, General Practitioner, Health Services Manager, Counsellor, Early Childhood Teacher, Primary School Teacher, Kaiwhakaako Māori, Nanny/Child Carer, Private Teacher/Tutor, Recreation Co-ordinator, Youth Worker, Secondary School Teacher, Teacher Aide, Kitchenhand, Storeperson, Purchasing/Supply Officer, Sales Representative, Buyer, Registered Nurse,